CA0991 'The Pugilists' after Canova
Superb pair of very early 19th Century Grand Tour patinated bronzes of the 'Pugilists', Creugas of Durres and Damoxenos of Syracuse after the originals by Canova. In 1795 Canova began working on the preparatory drawings of these subjects for sculptures. A year later, in 1796, both models were completed. In 1802, the two statues, along with the Perseus, were purchased by Pope Pius VII and can be seen to this day in the famous Octagonal Courtyard in the Vatican in Rome. Lovely patina with typically distressed patination often seen on bronzes from the eighteenth century. Mounted on Portasanta marble bases. Italian, Rome circa 1800-1805.
H 25.5cm x W 15.5cm x D 8cm