CA0607 Grand Tour black marble Lateran Obelisk
Good quality mid 19th century Grand Tour black marble Lateran Obelisk. Inscribed 'Obeliscvs Lateranensis' to the front face of a stepped base plinth. Nicely carved heiroglyphs to each of fours sides. Originally from the Temple of Amun in Karnak, the Lateran Obelisk was transported to Rome in the early 4th Century where it was placed in the Circus Maximus before being moved to its current position in the Piazza Giovanni in Latearno, it is the largest standing ancient Egyptian obelisk in the world. Italy, circa 1850.
H 28.5cm W 8cm x D 8cm