CA0622 Large Grand Tour Moses after Michelangelo in Serpentine marble
A large scale good quality 19th century Grand Tour carved serpentine marble library seated Moses on a stepped base in the same marble, after original by Michelangelo created in 1515 and housed in the church of San Pietro in Vincoll, Rome. Commissioned by Pope Julius II for his tomb it depicts the biblical figure of Moses with horns on his head, based on a description in chapter 34 of Exodus in the Vulgate, the Latin translation in use at the time. Large and heavy. Rome, circa 1880.
H 51cm x W 17cm X D 21cm