CA0532 Rare pair of Grand Tour temples in Siena marble
Rare pair of superbly detailed 19th century Grand Tour carved Siena marble architectual representations of the ruins of the Temple of Vespasian and Titus and the Temple of Castor and Pollux (Tempio dei Dioscuri) located in the Forum in Rome. The Temple of Vespasian and Titus was begun by Titus in AD79 after the death of his father, Vespasian and completed under Emperor Domitian, circa AD87. The Temple of Castor and Pollux was erected in the final decade of the first century BC replacing the temple of the two sons of Jupiter. During the 19th century the ruins of these temples were fully excavated and finely carved models such as these with decorated friezes were made in marble in the Vatican workshops in Rome. Partial inscription 'ESTITVER' to the front of the Temple of Vespasian and Titus. Presented on the original Portoro marble bases. Very good condition with minimal minor losses. Rome, circa 1850.
Temple of Castor and Pollux: H 39.25cm x W 21cm x D 9cm
Temple of Vespasian and Titus: H 39.25cm x W 14cm x D 14cm
Price on Request