CA0513 Grand Tour Rosso Antico marble Lateran Obelisk
Good quality early to mid 19th century Grand Tour Marmo Rosso Antico model of the Lateran Obelisk in Rome. Inscribed 'Obeliscvs Lateranensis' to the front face it stands on a stepped block base plinth. Nicely carved heiroglyphs to each of fours sides. Originally from the Temple of Amun in Karnak, the Lateran Obelisk was transported to Rome in the early 4th century where it was placed in the Circus Maximus before being moved to its current position in the Piazza Giovanni in Latearno, it is the largest standing ancient Egyptian obelisk in the world. Italy, probably Rome, circa 1840.
H 40.5 cm x W 9cm x D 9cm